This crust-less vegan apple pie is a low-carb dream come true! Make your own with the recipe below.
Low-Sugar Crustless Apple Pie From Nicole Iizuka, POPSUGAR Food
- 1 1/4 cups apple juice, divided
- 3 apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, divided
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup pecans, crushed
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
Total time: 1 hour
- Refrigerate can of coconut cream overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat add 1 cup of apple juice and simmer for 25 to 35 minutes, or until the juice has reduced into a thick syrup. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Core apples. Take 2 apples and slice horizontally into 1″” planks. The core should be in the center of each slice. Arrange apple slices on baking sheet. Sprinkle with cinnamon & nutmeg. Bake apples for 18 to 24 minutes or until softened and slightly browned.
- Small dice remaining apple and add to a clean saucepan over medium heat with the rest of the apple pie spice, 1/4 cup of apple juice, and coconut sugar. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until apples have softened and liquid has cooked down. Remove from heat and add in pecans.
- Very carefully open can of coconut cream. The fat and liquid should have separated. Skim the coconut fat off the top and measure out 1/4 cup of it to whip. You can use the rest in smoothies!
In a cold bowl whisk coconut cream on high speed until light and fluffy. Add in yogurt and keep mixing until smooth.
- Assemble by laying down an apple slice & top with a spoonful of filling. Add another slice and spoonful of filling until you’ve reconstructed your apple. Top with a generous spoonful of coconut cream and a drizzle of apple juice caramel.
POPSUGAR Fitness offers fresh fitness tutorials, workouts, and exercises that will help you on your road to healthy living, weight loss, and stress relief. Check out Class FitSugar, our do-it-along-with-us real-time workout show hosted by Anna Renderer who will inspire you to sweat alongside fitness experts and Hollywood’s hottest celebrity trainers. Class FitSugar regularly covers the most buzzed-about workout classes and trends, including the Victoria’s Secret workout, Tabata, P90X, Bar Method, and more.